Automated Solar Cell Assembly
The Spi-Assembler™ 7000 is an automated production machine that interconnects solar cells by soldering flat metal leads, or tabs, to cell contacts. Solar cells are processed at a throughput of up to 700 cells per hour with high yield.
The Spi-Assembler unloads solar cells from stacks and aligns their edges. Tab material is fed from spools, coated with flux, cut to length, and provided with a stress-relief bend.
Solar cells are aligned and
placed prior to soldering
Tabs and cells are aligned for soldering. High-intensity lamps in the solder head assembly provide radiant thermal energy to the cells and tabs. Both front and back cell contacts are soldered in a single step, thereby reducing thermal stress on cells. This is particularly important for high yield processing on thin solar cells.
The number of cells per string, cell spacing, the ribbon length, the stress bend location, and the soldering parameters are software programmable. Each completed string is automatically placed in a tray.
Options and Features
- Spi-Module Layup Station™
Automatically aligns and places completed solar cell strings in position for module assembly; can also be purchased for standalone use
- String I-V Tester
Measures an I-V curve for each cell string and places the acceptable strings in the proper location for a module
- Vision Inspection
- Third Ribbon Path
Allows additional interconnect ribbon on larger cells with greater current output
Features & Benefits
- High Quality Design
- Automated, programmable assembly - reproducible, high quality soldered cell strings
- High speed alignment system for multiple cell sizes
- Programmable tab length and stress-relief bend location
- Improved Throughput and Yield
- High-intensity light soldering with cell preheating
- Rapid soldering process - Minimal mechanical force on cell
- Minimal thermal stress and continuous soldered contacts
- Software Selectable Design
- Number of strings per module - Number of cells per string
- Strings arranged in series or parallel configuration (Layup station option)
- Computer controlled with a touch screen graphical interface
- Remote diagnostics and service capability
Location In Spi-Line Module Line